Top Viewed Monthly
FESAus, the Formation Evaluation Society of Australia, is the Australian chapter of the Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA). It was born in July 2007 of the integration of the Formation Evaluation societies of different states of Australia.
Its aims are to provide a technical monthly forum for geoscientists focused on all aspects of formation evaluation, from new tools available to new techniques and approaches to analysing reservoirs, and to encourage formation evaluation professionals to network.
In line with the founding principles of the SPWLA, FESAus is a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the science of Petrophysics and Formation Evaluation, including well logging, coring, and other formation evaluation techniques and to the application of these techniques to the exploitation of gas, oil and other minerals, particularly in Australia.
FESAus also aims to provide information services to scientists in the Australian petroleum and mineral industries, to serve as a voice of shared interests in the profession, to play a major role in education in Petrophysics, and to increase awareness of the contribution of Petrophysics to the Oil and Gas industry.
Currently membership (2016) is over 150 geoscientists from all over Australia and beyond. Join our free mailing list to stay informed of our events and activities – or better yet: become a member and enjoy the benefits of FESAus membership. Membership is free for Australia-based SPWLA members in good standing.
We welcome your input, comments and feedback! Our contact address is P.O. Box 7081, Shenton Park, WA 6008, and our trading address is 40 Commercial Road, Shenton Park, Perth WA 6008, Australia.
We are proud that FESAus hosted the 51th SPWLA Annual Symposium in 2010 in Perth, Western Australia. Other flagship activities include:
- A yearly FESAus “New Technology Day”, in September, with alternating focus on software and hardware;
- A yearly FESAus “Student Day”, in October, with the award of FESAus’s Hugh Crocker Scholarship to support and encourage a particularly meritous student of Formation Evaluation in Australia;
- Regular “Master Classes” which we also aim to take to every capital city of the Australian Federation active in the oil and gas industry;
and more… Read about all this on this website.
Become a member (or renew your current membership)
If you have an interest in Formation Evaluation and a link to Australia, we invite you to join the Formation Evaluation Society of Australia. For a very small yearly fee you will:
- be the first to know about the monthly technical meetings, the courses, and other events relating to Formation Evaluation in Australia,
- benefit from preferred rates for most of these events,
- be able to access member-only content such as recent webcasts of technical meetings,
- gain privileged access to a network of professionals and students of Formation Evaluation, from industry and academia.
Signing up and renewal are all done online, by selecting here the option that correspond to your situation:
- Become a FESAus member if you are not presently one (same for all including employed, students, retired, independents, etc)
- Become a FESAus member if you are not presently one but are an Australia-based SPWLA member in good standing
- Renew your current or just-lapsed FESAus membership (requires login)
- Renew your current or just-lapsed FESAus membership if you are an Australia-based SPWLA member in good standing (requires login)2016 only:
Membership to SPWLA for full-time students is fully sponsored by Baker-Hughes – follow instructions here.
SPWLA members: As the Australian Chapter of the Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts (SPWLA), FESAus encourages and will support you to become a member of SPWLA also. If you are already a member of SPWLA in good standing for the membership period (see next point), and you are based in Australia, then your FESAus membership is free; however you must still register with FESAus, which is done online by clicking the 2nd link above.
Membership period: when you join the Society, your membership is for the current calendar year if you sign up by 30 September, and it is for the remainder of the year and the entire following year if you sign up after 30 September. Subsequent renewals are by calendar years.
Membership lapse: at the end of a calendar year, an email will be sent you to invite you to renew your membership. If you do not renew it, your membership account will be cancelled after a few months.
Membership renewal: membership renewal process is similar to the signup process, but without the need to create new username and password. Make sure you login first before clicking here to RENEW.
SPWLA members click here to renew your FESAus membership and follow instructions.
SPWLA membership vs. FESAus membership: to clarify, SPWLA membership entitles Australia-based members to FESAus membership upon request (2nd link above), but FESAus membership does not give you membership in SPWLA and you need to apply to SPWLA separately become an SPWLA member.
If you are having any problem with the online membership registration, please email webmaster @fesaus.org, with a brief description of the problem.
We would like to invite you to support The Formation Evaluation Society of Australia (FESAus). The support you provide is very valuable and enables us to continue providing technical presentations and courses to disseminate up to date information and technical know-how amongst the oil and gas community throughout Australia.
We provide monthly technical presentation events, annual technology and workshop forums (known as our master class events) that attract a variety of professionals from all parts of the industry. We also provide training courses and encourage graduates through the active participation of the society in the academic community. To this end we have the Hugh Crocker Scholarship, an annual grant of up to five thousand Australian dollars, awarded to the most promising student applicant in order to assist in the development of their technical research.
The majority of the events are videoed and documented to become a valuable resource for the wider Australian and global community on our website as FESAus webcasts. The website in itself has become a valuable resource within the Petroleum industry. From our count, the website has attracted several thousand referrals from around 150 cities representing every major petroleum province in the world.
FESAus offers the following sponsorship options:
- $ 5,000.00 AUD (excl. GST) FESAus Sponsorship Package
- $ 500.00 AUD (excl. GST) Annual FESAus Website Sponsorship: with your logo on the website home page, linked as per your specification
- $ 500.00 AUD (excl. GST) Monthly Technical Meeting Sponsorship : exclusive opportunity
- $ 500.00 AUD (excl. GST) Monthly Technical Meeting Webcast Sponsorship
- $ 750.00 AUD (excl. GST) Monthly Technical Meeting & Webcast Sponsorship Combined
- $ 1000.00 AUD (excl. GST) New Technology Forum Sponsorship (presenter): mandatory for all presenting companies, limited to approx. nine companies, scheduled for September
- $ 500.00 AUD (excl. GST) New Technology Forum Sponsorship (non-presenter): limited to five companies, scheduled for September
- $ 1000.00 AUD (excl. GST) Master Class Event and Webcast Sponsorship : limited to five companies, scheduled for Q3
More specific details on each specific sponsorship package and a downloadable FESAus Sponsorship Booking Form are available here.
Sponsorship payments can be made online.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com
The composition of the FESAus committee for 2016 is listed below.
You can contact any of these people by sending a message to admin @ fesaus.org, mentioning the intended addressee in the Subject.
|FESAus Position||Name||Professional Affiliation|
Shell Development Australia
|Vice-President & Company Compliance|
|FESAus Company Secretary|
|Monthly Tech. Meeting|
|Shell Development Australia|
|New Tech. Forum Coordinator|
Ben van Deijl
Louise Christensen (Victoria)
Carrie Trembath (South Australia)
|Barbara Stummer (South Australia)||Santos|
Nariman Nouri (Western Australia)
|Shell Development Australia|
|Matt Dubsky (New South Wales)||Oil Search Ltd|
Harris Khan (New South Wales)
|Oil Search Ltd|
Thomas Gan (Queensland)
|Shell / Arrow Energy|
Eric Tenthorey (ACT)
|CO2CRC / |
|Incremental Oil and Gas|
|Hugh Crocker Scholarship Award|
Incremental Oil and Gas
|Data standards & Best Practices|
Well Data QA
|Special Events & Awards / Compliance Coordinator|
|Well Data QA|